It is 25 degrees outside this morning. Is it also 25 degrees inside your home? Do some rooms feel drafty? Here is a list of some easy fixes the help keep your hard earned energy dollars in your home!
1. Do you feel cold air rushing in around doors or windows? Consider updating your weather stripping. Rubber weatherstrips do wear out over time and need to be replaced from time to time.
2. Have you replaced your windows but still feel a draft by them? Often time builders or window installers don't install insulation inside the frame of the window (between the window and the framing of the house). This can be a fairly easy fix. We can pull off the interior window frame, install insulation around the window and re-install the frame. This can help maximize your investment in new windows!
3. Attic insulation: Does the upper level of your home always feel cold in the winter? There is a lot of misinformation and disinformation out there regarding insulation in your attic. Generally, good rolled or blown-in insulation can be installed at a relatively low cost, but will have a big effect on your warmth!
4. Caulking: Have you checks the caulking around windows and doors? There are temperature limits on when caulking can be done. However, caulk can make a big impact around windows and doors and can be done without a large expense.
5. Make sure vents are not blocked by furniture or covered with window treatments. This can help your HVAC system operate more efficiently and last longer. Also be sure the filter is clean and changed regularly.
6. If you have a fireplace be sure that the flue is closed when not in use. This is an area where a lot of heat can be lost up the chimney.
7. Open doors when not at home or rooms are not in use to allow heat to flow evenly throughout the home.
8. Use gap sealer to seal all the penetrations through your home's exterior. This is an easy fix that can stop drafts and keep you hard earned dollars in your pocket.
If you need help with any of these quick fixes, feel free to give us a call!