It is 25 degrees outside this morning. Is it also 25 degrees inside your home? Do some rooms feel drafty? Here is a list of some easy fixes the help keep your hard earned energy dollars in your home!
1. Do you feel cold air rushing in around doors or windows? Consider updating your weather striping. Rubber weather strips do wear out over time and need to be replaced from time to time.
2. Have you replaced your windows but still feel a draft by them? Often time builders or window installers don't install insulation inside the frame of the window (between the window and the framing of the house). This can be a fairly easy fix. We can pull off the interior window frame, install insulation around the window and re-install the frame. This can help maximize for investment in your new windows!
3. Attic insulation: Does the upper level of your home always feel cold in the winter? There is a lot of mis and dis information out there regarding insulation in your attic. Generally, good rolled or blown in insulation can be installed at a relatively low cost, but will have a big affect on your warmth!
4. Caulking: Have you checks the caulking around windows and doors? There are temperature limits on when caulking can be done. However, caulk can make a big impact around windows and doors and can be done without a large expense.
5. Make sure vents are not blocked by furniture or covered with window treatments. This can help your HVAC system operate more efficiently and last longer. Also be sure the filter is clean and changed regularly.